Biomethane can serve as natural gas substitute being injected into the natural gas grid or serve as a «green» fuel for vehicles (bioCNG or bioLPG). Our MemGas™ membrane technology purifies raw biogas into suitable biomethane (>95-99 % methane) to meet the requirements of its final use.
However, in order to be transformed into biomethane, a thorough purification of the biogas is necessary.
Converting biogas into biomethane involves 3 main steps: Pre-treatment, compression and methane separation.
Membrane separation of biogas is a proven state-of-the-art technology for biomethane production. The technology is based on the permeability and selectivity of the membrane in respect to different gases.
The biogas is pretreated in the drying and cleaning step to remove unwanted components such as H2S, VOC and H2O. After compression to 12 – 16 bar it passes through the high pressure gas separation membranes. The membranes are arranged in cylindrical cartridges installed in a patented 3-stage set-up. The performance of each plant is optimized to produce pure biomethane (95 - 99% CH4) within the requirements of our customer needs at the lowest environmental impact and an optimized CAPEX / OPEX ratio.
Features and benefits
- Safe and robust pre-treatment process for optimal membrane protection and non-stop biogas purification
- Very high purification efficiency: > 99% methane yield in biomethane
- Suitable for flow rates from 30 to 10,000 Nm³/h raw biogas
- Low energy consumption of 0.3 to 0.4 kWh/Nm³ raw biogas
- Compressor heat recovery for enhanced energy balance
- No chemicals, nor water consumption
- Quick start up and easy maintenance system
- Compact and preassembled process for easy installation
- Fully automated and remote controlled (HUBGRADE implementation possible)
- Robust and very reliable with an availability rate > 95%